Friday, January 6, 2023

Cary finally Drives the C8 Corvette

 Since the mid-engine, eighth generation, Corvette came into production back in February 2020 the demand for the long anticipated car has far exceeded Chevrolet's capacity to produce it.  Wait times of a year were common during the first year of production, and the car still enjoys a popularity that is worthy of its world-class quality and performance.  Delivery delays are still common and most people buy the car without having ever driving one until theirs arrives!

Lucky for me, my buddy, Don Kingery, was able to purchase his C8 Corvette Coupe from an accommodating dealer in Lewistown, Montana -- Snowy Mountain Motors.

Back in March 2022, Don invited me to be his guest at a fighter-pilot luncheon as part of our preparation for the new Top Gun movie release.

The Full Top Gun Maverick Experience

Not only did Don offer to buy me lunch, let let me drive his new C8 to the event!  He drives onto the driveway and throws me the keys!  "Let's go!"  He didn't have to ask twice.

 

I had read many of the automotive press reviews of the C8.  The exterior styling, interior comfort and layout, forward visibility, handling, power, and performance have all been heralded as equal to any Supercar produced anywhere in the World.

As you can see in these photos, the car is just beautiful. 


Although brand new, Don had already tricked the car out with special wheels.


Don ordered the car exactly as he wanted it, including the 2LZ interior.


I love the fact that you can see the engine through the rear window.


Driving the car was pure joy.  Most of my impressions matched those of the reviews that I had read.  But I had two observations that I didn't hear voiced by others:

  • Some of my friends (who have not driven the C8) have mentioned that they were concerned that the noise level in the cockpit might be high since the engine is sitting right behind you in plain sight.  My experience was the opposite!  When driving the car as though the Cops are behind you, the interior is as quiet as a Cadillac!  The interior, and its sophistication, were equally matched by the smooth and quiet ride.  However, I'm happy to report that when you decide to experience the power behind the seats, the car is instantly transformed to the sound that you expect from a Corvette.  Thus, you have the best of both worlds -- a smooth quiet ride for long trips and the joy of a performance car when the spirit moves you.
  • With the flip of a switch, the rear-view "mirror" is instantly converted to a rear camera mirror that displays images transmitted from the rear-facing camera module. The driver can adjust the "mirror" up or down, and can zoom the image in or out.  It took me a few miles to adjust to this new feature, but once you adapt to it, my opinion is that it is really fantastic.

 I'm totally convinced that a C8 Corvette needs to find its way into our garage.  Maybe Snowy Mountain Motors will sell us one too?

But don't worry, the yellow Z06 isn't going anywhere!  It has made friends with Don's new car.





3 comments:

  1. FROM DARRYL IN FLORIDA, THE COUPLE ACROSS THE STREET FROM ME GOT ONE A WEEK AGO, I GOT A GOOD LOOK AT AS SHE LEFT THE OTHER DAY IT'S RED BEAUTIFUL CAR, NO ROOM IN GARAGE SHE PARKS IT IN THEIR DRIVEWAY, UNCOVERED (WHAT A SHAME) BEAUTIFUL CAR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always love your reports Cary. Glad you liked the car and I've driven them quite a bit and feel the same way you do. I can't wait to get a ride in a Z06 but nobody I know has one yet. Corvette Mike has a few for sale so I texted him and wanted his thoughts and he told me he hasn't driven one yet either! I'm not sure I could have one on the showroom floor and not take it around the block at least. Sorry I haven't stopped by to pick up my auction items but I will soon. Happy New Year!
    -Gregg Park

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy that you had an opportunity to drive a C8 . I would be surprised not to see one in your garage! Nancy or Canon would be happy to drive the yellow one lol

    ReplyDelete